Monday, March 21, 2016

Building Our {ALMOST} Dream Home

Well, we enjoyed a great time away for a long weekend over in Eastern Pennsylvania/Baltimore/DC visiting my baby brother and his family.  I haven't seen my niece for about 6 months, and her and her mommy are about to move to Hawaii.  Long story short: they're in the military and that's where she is being stationed next.
My brother on the other hand... he won't be going to Hawaii. He is heading overseas to do another tour in Afghanistan.
So, a trip was needed to visit everyone before they leave for all different corners of the world.

On Thursday, when we left for our little excursion, we got an email from our SR.  She was super apologetic, but let us know that we wouldn't be able to do a change order to get the kitchen island we wanted in our home.
Cue the tears.
I did good reading the email, but as soon as I opened my mouth to talk about it, I was crying.  I haven't wanted something for the house this badly til I saw this island.

But, because all of our permits and prints have been launched, we can't change anything unless they are part of the proper print.  Essentially, our floor plan for our Milan is an "06" version.  The floor plan with the kitchen island I am in love with is the "07" version.

I'm frustrated.  I know they consider this a "structural" change... but seriously... it's a couple table legs and some extra granite.  How that's a structural change that requires our blueprints to be redrawn AND new permits is beyond me.  It's so silly.

All for a kitchen island change.

And I was SO ready to wait longer to make sure we got this island.  We were made aware that the permits and prints might need to be "redone" because of this change, which means waiting even LONGER for our home.  But seriously?  If it means we are getting exactly what we want, we were willing to do it.  Change order charges (of $1,000) and all.

So our "dream home" has become and "almost" dream home.  I'm definitely okay with this now, because at this point I am MORE than ready to just have our lot staked, and then holes in the ground, and then a home we can call our own.  Especially because the fiasco we have had to deal with with NVR has pushed our build date back because all of that took so long.

And, we have already discussed it, and since it can't happen, we will just look into having a contractor come in and build onto the island and make me the kitchen island I want {and hopefully for less money too}.  This option stinks since we are already paying for the island to begin with and will just rip it out......

Here's that photo of the kitchen island I can't have.....  All because we have an older version of the floor plan {which- now that I think about it.... the Milan is a brand-spanking-new floor plan to Cincinnati... .so HOW is it possible that we DONT have the newest version?!?!!?!?  The brand new model home that has been built before we even break ground? IT is the 07 version.....  Sigh.  So much stress and headache over one silly island that I can't have.}


Oh well.

Like I said, I guess we just have to build it after we get into the home. It is what it is, right?

Now- y'all keep your fingers crossed that we actually hear this week about our pre-construction meeting!  The wait is driving me nuts!



1 comment: