Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Our "Leaky" Situation....

So it's been nearly two weeks since we noticed our leak.  And the drama from that leak continues.

Some of my last post was out of anger and not knowing ALL the details of what had happened from the leak discovery.  I'm a bit better educated now that I've seen it and gotten all the details... but still- I'm not exactly "happy" about any of it.

Backing up a bit-- they came out on the 15th, a Thursday, to check out our leak and get things taken care of.  We actually ended up with THREE holes in our drywall in the master bedroom so that it could dry out and then they'd come back out to patch it up.

Also, the different color grout has nothing to do with the leak that was discovered with the shower.  That leak was dripping DOWN and would have found it's way to the spot where it was leaking through the ceiling.  So what's causing the grout to be a different color- I have NO idea... They were supposed to fix it as a part of our 30 day stuff, but it hasn't been addressed.  So, I'll be putting a ticket in along with other things once it gets a bit closer to me having my next available day off.

So, we think it's all well and good with the leak in the shower being fixed.  On Wednesday last week (the 21st), I'm getting ready to head to work and I notice that our ceiling is leaking AGAIN.

Yep. Again.

We are now thinking the leak MIGHT be from the master bathtub.  Our PM mentioned it when this whole leak thing started, but we hadn't used the tub in nearly two weeks at that point.  So it seemed odd that a leak would just show up out of nowhere.  Well, this new leak- we had used the tub that Sunday prior to this new drip.  So maybe the tub was the culprit all along??

I snap some photos and send them to hubby, and then I call one of our PM's that's been in contact with me since they were supposed to be coming out THE VERY NEXT DAY to patch everything up.  I wanted to make sure they knew that we had a new leak and to bring a plumber with them.

Well, I hear nothing.  So, after several hours I email our second PM just to make sure they're aware of the situation and we NEED a plumber out tomorrow.  I had a pretty high sense of urgency because that Thursday was literally my ONLY day off for a month at a time when they could come out and check things out, and I wanted this taken care of.  The email to our PM produced a response that said they had the plumber coming out at 8 am the following morning.

Thanks for the communication on that.  A text, a call, an email..... ANYTHING would suffice so that I was aware someone was coming out that next day.  Is that really that much to ask?!?!

So, Thursday the 22nd was my day off.  Literally the only day off that I've had during the week in a while.  And, seeing as how these contractors and Ryan only like to work Monday through Friday during business hours, I had to use my ONLY day off to sit at home ALL day and wait for things to be done {we had a couple of other service things that were being taken care of on this day as well as our leak}.

Plumber shows up promptly at 8.  His name was Jay.  I explained to him the situation, and mentioned that we think this new leak could have something to do with the master tub. Upstairs he goes, starts tinkering with things.  PM shows up with the drywall guy.  His name was Jay also.  Takes him upstairs so he can start patching up our drywall in our bedroom since the leak from the shower hasn't leaked and is okay.

While he's at the house, our PM investigates with the plumber and they come to the conclusion that the leak is coming from the COLD WATER KNOB on the master tub.  The same one that just pulled right up one day while I was taking a bath, and the same one that the first plumber tried to fix and basically flooded our bathroom because he forgot to turn off the main water.  The same one that we have been *patiently* waiting to be fixed because they had to order a special kit to get the knob to stay on.

Yep, that would be the one.

So, the plumber has to run to his shop to see if he has stuff to fix it. When he was looking in the drain with the water running, he noticed that the cold water knob was leaking water.

In the meantime, our PM tells me that they're going to cut a hole in my master closet and put an air register grate over it.  That way it can dry out and they can keep an eye on it.  I was so clueless as he fed this information to me, and now I have to ask questions. haha!  The grate looks okay in the closet and I'm alright if it has to stay that way... but why wouldn't they just patch up that hole too once it's "dried" out??  Are they anticipating this being an issue?

Drywall Jay is in and out pretty much all day long.  Patched things up, it had to dry.  Come back for touch ups, let it dry some more.  Finally paint over everything and he's done.

Plumber Jay came back and fixed the knob.  Hopefully for good this time.  We've taken a couple of baths up to this point and are hoping for the best.

Our PM has reached out to set a date to come out to patch up the hole in the kitchen and drywall on the beam between the kitchen and morning room.  I let him know my next available day off, which is LITERALLY a month away from now.  I had asked how long it would take, and he said up to about 5 hours.  With that being the case, hubby and I really can't take a FULL day off of work {hubs doesn't get paid for time he's not at work, and we are short staffed where I work so I can't just ask for a random day off so close to it being that time}.  Still waiting to hear if they'll be out that day or not. I have several other "things" I will be putting service requests in for so they get taken care of on that day as well.

So- at this point, our leak leaked again and they've hopefully fixed it.  We still have exposed drywall in the kitchen and a hole in our ceiling where they cut it to air it out.

And a couple of things about all of that-- I asked our PM what they planned on doing with the drywall that has water spots on it.  Are they replacing it?  I don't want it just painted over.  I worry that it might still lead to mold or mildew in the future. There's also a water spot on the ceiling.  What are their plans for that?

I feel the same about the exposed drywall.  I really want it all just cut down and replaced so it doesn't look like it does.  You'll see what I mean in my photos.

And, for thought..... Drywall Jay did a really great job patching up our drywall.  You seriously would NEVER know that we had three holes there if I hadn't told you.  The paint on our walls is the "builder whatever" that comes with the house.  It isn't white though.  It's like an off-white creamy kind of color.  And when he painted over the spots that he had to repair, it looks great.

So my thought-- I'm not going to wait to paint.  We had originally decided that we were going to wait until our drywall fixes and such around 12 months from when we moved in.  If they patch things up and their paint doesn't show anything, then I'm just going to paint to my little heart's desire.  I also read that painting over the builder grade paint will help reveal drywall imperfections and stuff that need to be fixed, so I figured that's a good idea too!  We shall see.  We have a couple projects we need to finish (and start) first before we start slapping paint on our walls.

Our other service stuff that was fixed on the 22nd included replacing our loft window for a third time.  Hopefully it's for good this time.  That guy spent a lot of time replacing the trim around the window, as well as molding and such.

And then the electric in the morning room.  It's been out for a good bit of time now.  Well, that guy showed up nearly three hours late (his window was between 1-3 and he showed up at 545).  He had an electric outlet to hook up for us for our Guardian stuff, and then he fixed those outlets.
Wanna know how he did it?  He flipped the breaker.  Uh huh.  The fricken breaker.

Now, we did flip it.  All of them.  We even hunted for GFI outlets to reset stuff.  We know where one is for the garage, and one for upstairs. But not for the first floor.  But we know now.  The electrician told us that we have to first reset the GFI outlet, and then flip the breaker off and back on to get it working again.  And voila!  The only issue I have is that I plugged my stuff in and within a couple of hours, all of the outlets in the morning room weren't working again! So I'm going to have to get the electrician BACK out to check things out.  This shouldn't be happening!

And now photos! Fun, leaky photos.  HA!

This is the "beam" between the morning room and the kitchen.  If you look closely on the right of the black mark, and down a bit, you can see the newly formed water droplet. 
Tilt your head side ways! This is the beam again, and the hole in our ceiling in the kitchen.

And a pretty "good" photo of the new leak. Same spot. 

Crosley demonstrating the cold water knob.

part 1 of the drywall repair.

part 2 of the drywall repair

and final product of the drywall repair.

the new "vent" in our master closet off the bathroom.  It's just a hole with a grate over it so air can flow in.

Our third loft window, waiting to be hung. The first one had a crack, the second wasn't sealed properly. This one better be perfect.

No window!

New Window!
And then a follow up to that leak that we originally found pre-drywall.  It was explained to us that it very well could have been a problem from the shower/bath tub and we just weren't able to fully SEE that as it had rained and they contributed that leak to all the rain we had gotten.

This is the photo of the "leak" from the beginning....


So hopefully the leak saga is over with, and we will get these holes patched up and the house looking back to normal!

I'll keep y'all updated :-) Hope everyone else is enjoying their gorgeous new homes, or loving the progress that is being made on your homes!!!!!


7 comments:

  1. What a nightmare! I hope your leak troubles are over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO far so good! They come to finish patching up our holes at the end of the upcoming week!! I'll keep y'all posted!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow.... So sorry for all the craziness! Given all the issues you're dealing with, your attitude is great! I do hope it's all resolved soon.

    We're gonna get an independent inspector to go with us to pre-drywall. Hopefully they will catch anything that RH misses so we can avoid potential drama later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they fix the leak soon. What a bummer!

    I do agree about painting. I had planned on waiting the 12 months too, but I just figured I'd use my own paint to do any touch up needed after it's fixed. You do see more of the imperfections when you are painting. Plus, six months in, I haven't noticed anything very dramatic in the drywall settling. Some minor cracks, a few nail pops and all the things that could have been better from the get go (visible seams, shotty patching, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I hope your leaky situation is getting better and things are beginning to calm down. I had a couple questions for you. We close on the 3rd of November and noticed a few things on our visit today. First of all, our cabinets have scratches in many different spots. Do those end up getting touched up closer to closing or will they end up having to order new ones? We also noticed issues with our trim and walls having scrapes and cuts. They still have ways to go as the carpet hasn't even been put in and the exterior still has not been started but I was curious if you had any extra info for me before I speak to our PM on Monday. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane! The leak does seem to be fixed! They're coming out later this week to check on it and patch up the remaining holes.

      To answer your questions... we did have some scratches on cabinets. Our PM did get a new cabinet front or two for a couple of the cabinets (in the bathroom) and then they had a guy come out to do touch ups on the kitchen cabinets on a lot of different places. That guy had sand paper, some kind of flame thingy and spray paint and he used a lot of those to get our cabinets looking shiny and gorgeous.
      I would point out any issues you see with the walls and trim. Make them fix it before you guys get in! We didn't seem to have too many spots, but we did notice a few and our PM had them taken care of by the time we closed {which was the day after our walk through}

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! I imagined they would take care of everything but they helps to ease my mind before we bring it up to our pm tomorrow

      Delete